Psychiatric Nursing Questions (Final)5
his exam will cover the following topics from the Wheeler textbook, which relate to psychotherapy of individuals:
· Supportive and Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
· Interpersonal Psychotherapy
· Humanistic-Existential and Solution-Focused Approaches to Psychotherapy
· Psychotherapy With Children
· Psychotherapy With Older Adults
· Termination and Outcome Evaluation
Wheeler, K. (Ed.). (2014). Psychotherapy for the advanced practice psychiatric nurse: A how-to guide for evidence-based practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
- A PMHNP is treating a 25-year-old patient who has a compulsive urge to exercise to excess. When asked to describe why she does so much exercise, she says, “I like the compliments I receive from others on my new level of fitness, and the excitement of getting more attention.” The PMHNP can use feeling-state therapy to help Monique _. A. return to a normal system of functioning B. break the feeling/behavior connection C. use more appropriate ways to satisfy needs D. all of the above
- A 43-year-old single mother is seeing the PMHNP at the request of her sister. “My sister thinks I need to come here to talk about my feelings,” the patient reports. The PMHNP learns that the patient has three children from three different men, but is unable to collect appropriate child support payments from any of the biological fathers. Additionally, the woman is barely able to afford her apartment or utilities payments. What is the appropriate response from the PMHNP when using the psychodynamic psychotherapy technique? A. Suggesting that the patient goes to church to pray for God’s help B. Telling the patient to write letters to the biological fathers requesting money C. Suggesting that the patient seek professional legal help D. Asking the patient why she thinks it is so hard to get the money she deserves
- A 35-year-old male patient is being treated for alcohol addiction. He asks for the PMHNP’s cell phone number to use in case of an emergency. When the PMHNP responds that giving her number would be against therapeutic rules, the patient threatens an act of violence to the therapist. What would be the most appropriate response by the PMHNP? A. Immediately report the threat to the local police department B. Allow the patient to explore his feelings C. Review the therapeutic treatment frame D. Call the patient the next day to follow up
- The PMHNP is caring for a patient who is histrionic. Using the supportive psychodynamic therapy model, what is the best statement made by the PMHNP? A. “Express your emotion, and do not hold anything back.” B. “Let’s not think too much about emotion right now. Let’s focus on what got you upset in the first place.” C. A and B D.
None of the above
- A 38-year-old patient tells the PMHNP that her father went to jail for selling drugs when she was a child. The patient is visibly upset when discussing what happened. Using a humanistic-existential approach to psychotherapy, which of the following is the most appropriate response by the PMHNP? A. “How were you feeling at the time when that happened?” B. “What are you experiencing now as you share this story?” C. “Did you allow yourself to feel anger when your father left?” D. “Are able to let go of the painful emotions you felt as a child?”
- The PMHNP uses therapeutic communication skills while ensuring that the patient understands that he has choices. The PMHNP comprehends and practices motivational interviewing. This is best understood as which of the following? A. Give the patient as much time needed to respond to questions and comments. B. A statement that both challenges the patient’s resistance and offers an opportunity to discuss the issues allows the patient to argue with him/herself to help produce a desired change. C. You must give full attention to the patient because nonverbal and verbal reactions are equally important. D. The PMHNP should be ready with a response when communicating with the patient. She understands that silence is also a therapeutic response.
- The PMHNP who practices motivational interviewing understands its relatio
Psychiatric Nursing Questions (Final)5 https://tiptopessays.com/wp-admin/post-new.php